Tag Cloud

Monday, October 12, 2009

36 - Mimosa Cafe - Oakland

462 Santa Clara Ave, Oakland, Ca. 94610, 510-465-2948
Last visit - October of 2009


Why do I find it odd to have Cantonese speakers in the American breakfast kitchen? I mean, they're people that have cooking skills too right? It's the fact that I'm Cantonese and I can hear what they are saying in the back that makes it weird. No bad talk about the customers, just your usual, "the egg sandwich customer wants some more coffee" kind of deal.

We went to Mimosa cafe Sunday for their breakfast because of the good feedback that its been getting on Yelp. A young Chinese guy greeted us and let us seat ourselves. I browsed the menu and saw some appetizing pictures of breakfast quiches and omelets. I asked the waiter what that was on the menu, and he actually said, "oh those are just pictures..." To that I had to take a bit of a chuckle. Rule #10 in the top 10 rules of opening a restaurant: Use the foods in your menu on your menu. From there I knew the day would be light-hearted and somewhat comical. I ordered the French Toast meal with a coffee. It came with a side of Veggie Sausages and an egg, which I took scrambled. My girlfriend ordered the scramble mix with a blue berry muffin along with a Mocha coffee.

The food came and everything was placed on Chinese dishes. The kind of plastic dishes with Chinese designs that I'm used to at dim-sum places. It was quite a site! I enjoyed it. The French Toast looked pretty dry, but it tasted a lot better than it looked. That's always a plus. They gave me way too much syrup, but it's good to know it's there. The winner of the meal was the blue-berry muffin that my girlfriend ordered, very soft and just enough flavor so that you're not dominated to blueberry. We ate to our heart's delight.

The place is a great place for vegetarians and baby lovers, as we saw three couples with their babies there that day.

No comments: