Tag Cloud

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

40 - Rang Dong Vietnamese Restaurant - Oakland

724 Webster St., Oakland, CA. 94607, (510)835 - 8375

(image from Yelp.com)
Placed on the outer edge of Chinatown is a pretty efficient pho noodle restaurant named Rang Dong. For the longest time it was known as "Vi's noodle shop", but after an interior make-over they renamed themselves. The place is clean and the service is fast. It's one of the few pho shops left in Chinatown. If you can imagine, people go to Chinatown to eat Chinese food, so to make a Vietnamese food place there would be a challenging feat. Yet, this place survives with its reliable service and hearty dishes.

They redid their menu recently, so the Pho Noodle soup with everything on it is no longer #1, but instead #11. How absurd is that right? Every store's #1 should be the big bowl of pho with everything on it: beef, tripe, flanks, beefballs, shredded pork, the whole shabang! But it's now #11. So don't fret, it's still there; and it's still good.

I've gotten the Pho Noodle eating ritual pretty much memorized. I suspect I can do it with my eyes closed if the bottles of condiments were identifiable by touch. First I grab a dish and pour in seafood sauce. Next I dab in the hot sauce, which is always Sri-Racha at these places. I give it a nice whirl then I put in some fresh lemon juice into my little platter. From there, I begin peeling off culantro leaves and gently sprinkling it in my soup. This is almost ritual, I don't even notice the difference in smell or taste. Lastly, I gather a couple chop stick grabs of raw bean sprouts and let it cook in the broth. It's rather simple, but I have heard of people mistaken the plate of garnishes as a salad for the soup, and eating it all. I hope this review will help first time pho noodle eaters avoid that kind of mistake.

Note: On summer days, I often get the Vermicelli noodles with imperial rolls and skewered pork. That's actually a really tasty meal. It goes good with Vietnamese drip coffee, but I have to admit it's amazingly strong there.

No comments: