Tag Cloud

Sunday, December 21, 2008

20 - Nanyang Burmese Restaurant - Oakland

6048 College Ave, Oakland, CA 94618, (510) 655-3298

Last Visit: December, 2008



Burmese food is close to Thai food in my understanding. There's a bit of mango flavoring and also coconut. I went to Nanyang for a Christmas getogether this weekend with some old friends. The place is not too far from me and me and my girlfriend find it without difficulty. Right in the intersection of College and Claremont, next to Murasaki furnishings.

Two of the things I like about Burmese food are the flavored rices and the colorful salads. There are many kinds of these salads, Green Tea being one of them. With the proper ingredients, it can be quite delightful. Nanyang provides four types of rice in their flavored rice combo - spicey, brown, coconut, and red. I find the coconut rice done really well. It's exactly what it is, coconut flavored rice. Sometimes I feel like it should be a dessert. 

The entres came relatively fast. The mango noodles made a good impression with us, I didn't try it though. I realize that I can never appreciate mangos; maybe dried ones only. The grilled chicken was good, but nothing special about it. They had a fish curry dish, but I did not enjoy it so much. 

All in all, for a homey, modestly priced trial at Burmese food, Nanyang can be the place to go. 

No comments: