Tag Cloud

Sunday, December 14, 2008

19 - Zen Restaurant - Alameda

2315 Santa Clara ave, Alameda, CA. 94501, (510) 521 - 7070
Last Visit - December 2008

Zen is a small Japanese restaurant in Alameda off Park Avenue. The decor is actually something to talk about. Most things are red and black, and there seems to be some effort made in the setting and utensils of the restaurant. In some ways it's fusion because of the cocktail menu and their small alotment of wines. The theme is Zen, which is in some ways "non-traditional" in this sense. The places are not completely round or the glasses not in orthodox shape. 

I went there for the second time with some friends last week. We ordered the yam fries and a salad as an apetizer. The lamb came next and my friends ordered some of the wasabi shu-mai. I ordered the mentaiko spaghetti, one of my favorite dishes. All was well. I had a cranberry cosmo and my friends had some mohitos. The drinks are not too strong, which is usually the Japanese way. Desserts are pretty good, but I haven't tried many. 

I don't think this place is much of a bar, but for a small snack and conversation it's not bad. For Alameda, it's definitely a place to try some day. 

No comments: