Tag Cloud

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

30 - the Victorian Pub - San Leandro

15325 Washington Ave., San Leandro, CA 94579, (510) 614-7130

Last visited - November 2008

Most likely known to many as "the Vic", this San Leandro hole-in-the-wall bar is recognized as a homey place for its locals. Located right off of the Washington Ave exit across from the Walgreens, you'll find yourself wondering, "Why is there a bar here?", believe me I was befuddled the first time I seen it. This place is so hole-in-the-wall that I can't find a picture of it on Google. Well, not the first few pages at least. I was introduced to this bar by my co-workers at Peterson Tractor. They go on regularly and enjoy a couple of pitchers to ease the hard work week. Drinks are decently made, the beer isn't ridiculously priced, and there is a nice juke box with today's tunes.

I like places like these because it reminds me of the way "America" used to be. America with it's steel workers and brick-layers and all that blue-collar, work a "dollar-a-day" for an "honest man's wages" kind of deal. When I picture the Vic, I am reminded of the U2 song, "These are the hands that built America". Anyways, it's just a bar. They don't serve food neither. Walgreens can supply chips. Hell, the guys sometimes order pizza delivered there.

The Vic has limited seating, two pool tables, a dart board and a big TV. Last I heard they installed a couple of gaudy LCD's to guide the eyes of sports fans. They like to turn on to MMA and wrestling there, so if you're into that kind of stuff and around town, duck into the Vic and have a pint. I find myself having a good time the few times I been there. I think I should make another pilgrimage there myself.

No comments: