Tag Cloud

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

32 - the Candy Bar - San Francisco

1335 Fulton street, San Francisco, CA.94117, (415) 673-7078

Last visited - August 2009

(image from curbednetwork.com)
One look inside you'll notice something different about the bar. It's clientele? Preppy and in their early 30's. The food? Desserts that people don't think about would taste good, but it TASTES GOOD! The ambiance? dimly lit with hints of artificiality. It took me awhile, but the bar didn't look out of place, it WAS out of place. It's the type of bar you'd find in L.A... but in San Francisco.

I did like the fact that they had board games in the bar. It seemed like a good idea to be able to play some Monopoly or Yatzee while sipping on some cocktails, but the tables were amazingly cramped. I guess they wanted to pack more people in, but it's a small issue. We ordered our food and it arrived promptly. My girlfriend had the nacho sundae platter (is it a play on the words "not your sunday"?), our friend had the matcha green-tea cake, while I had some fruit tart thing that's served in a little jar, the white chocolate mousse it looked like creme' brulee. It was made of three layers and garnished with the white chocolate mousse on the side. Reviewing their menu online, I learned that the three layers were Blue berry compote, Kalamansi Sorbet, and Candied Parsnips. Upon the second spoonful I realized it was the Kalamansi sorbet that really excited me. It was amazingly smooth and the chill kept the whole dessert together - a tingling delight at every bite. The blue berries were fresh and the parsnips were delightful. I almost forgot about the mousse. The sorbet was a true winner, and I had a cup of coffee with it that went together really well. The cake was mediocre for the price, but my fruit snack and my girlfriend's nacho desserts were both tasty.

Lastly, I enjoyed the food and the presentation of the food, but I wouldn't make a trip to San Francisco for it. Now if I was already in town, it would be a different story. Bon appetite!

No comments: